I have been challenged to review and think about my dreams. What were they? Am I on track? Have things changed? Where do I want to go now?
It’s been a while since I’d looked at my list of dreams. No problem, I can do this I told the friend who challenged me to go back to my dreams. With so much going on in my life over the last year, she encouraged me to look and see how far I have come in my journey.
My first stumbling block was I couldn’t find my list! I decided I must have put it in a safe place! I don’t have a problem finding a safe place. It’s just hard to find the safe place when I need the item! in this case My DREAMS! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think safe places need to be banned in Milly’s Realm! Seriously!
After searching paperwork over two evenings I finally found my lists. Yes! I have two of them. The first one I wrote after reading Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber in 2011. The second one is my revised dream list from 2017.
After a tumultuous year it is now time to re-evaluate where I stand. I’m taking you with me in developing my Dreams Circa 2018! Oh Boy! Let’s get started!
Some dreams have been met, some discarded, and some are long-term. Since the 2011 started it all, let’s start there:
- Fulfilled – What got done:
- See the leaves! What an awesome experience to see the color and tone the camera can’t quite capture.
- My own sanctuary. I found my little wooden desk at a local thrift store. It is in great shape and just big enough for my laptop but not too much clutter. It is my corner of the world to relax and write (or shop. Shh! don’t tell anyone).
- Health – Yes I still struggle with my health. BUT by the grace of God I am healthier now than I have been in 20 years! I reached my goal weight of 160 pounds last month! That’s my best wieght ever, 145 plus my freshman…er…senior 15! Hey I’m taking it! Just celebrating the win!
- Pursue the Trilogy – This is my writing. In 2011 blogging wasn’t even a figment in my imagination. I just wanted to write the story. I knew it was too big to be one book. I decided the story was actually a thread through the lives of three girls. So far one book is written and in need of an editor, one book is started, and one is hanging out in the back of my head.
- Love my home – I looked at this and thought. It’s not organized yet. I still have so much to do…Then I let the comfort of my home seep into my spirit. God is here. Faith is here. My family is here. Peace is here. Tonight, I just realized this dream has been achieved. Not in the way I imagined it but, in God’s way I have grown to love my home.
- Cowgirl Boots! Oh yeah baby I scored me a real pair of cowgirl boots from a local thrift store! How great is that!
- Manage my finances. With the help of my friends I finally developed a system to keep track of what was going on with that stuff called money. Now we are managing my dad’s finances too. Talk about timing!
- Life balance – Hah! I almost put this in the discard pile. Then I realized my life may be a bit unhinged but I found balance in the Holy Spirit. I figured that’s balanced enough for me!
- Long-term Plans:
- Grand Canyon – Childhood dreams do survive.
- Northern lights – We gotta see ‘em.
- Find our new hometown – We’ll know it when we get there.
- A well-funded retirement – We’re working it.
- Be published – That says it all.
- Work from home – See above.
- Clean/Organized home – Sigh.
- Log Cabin/mountains/woods – It’s still the plan! Not too far off now.
- Discard Pile:
- O’Family Empire – Big dream or big head, it’s either one or the other.
- Create Milly’s own BBQ sauce – My mouth says YEAH! My stomach says NO! I decided I had bigger things to do than argue with taste buds and stomach acid!
Wow, I didn’t realize how much I accomplished in eight years with only a couple of discards. This weekend I plan to dissect the 2017 list with you.
In writing this I discovered; when life throws a switchbacks in the journey or obstacles in my path, I have leaned on God for guidance. I have found my joy and delight in the Lord.
God and I have stayed the course towards the desires of my heart (Psalms 37:4). I identified what I wanted. Now I’m walking with my Lord to achieve them. Blessed be the Lord God Almighty! He has blessed me.
What dreams are you working on? What inspires you? Think and pray about them. Write them down and with God on your side start towards the dream. Even if the list is tucked away in a “safe place,” God and your mind will work towards the desires of your heart.